Welcome

MeowStudio Stories

Advertisement
Advertisement

Two Old Leashes Outside a Kennel, But This Time It Was a Cat Tree and a Scratching Post

I noticed the scratching post and the small cat tree before I noticed the cats. They were leaning together against the wall outside the kennel, clearly brought from home, clearly meant to make a hard transition slightly less hard for whoever was inside. Inside, a fourteen-year-old orange tabby named Reginald lay curled around a kitten who couldn't have been more than ten weeks old, her small body pressed entirely against his chest. Neither of them approached the front of the kennel. Both of them simply watched, with the specific, weary stillness of animals who had stopped expecting good things from approaching footsteps. I'd come in looking for a senior cat, specifically, after losing my own elderly companion the previous year. A volunteer named Beth told me their story while I stood there processing the scratching post detail. Reginald had belonged to an elderly woman who lived alone for the last several years of her life, the kitten — Daisy — a recent addition the woman had taken in from a neighbor's litter just two months before her sudden hospitalization. When she didn't recover and passed away in the hospital, her family, dealing with the overwhelming logistics of an unexpected loss, surrendered both cats together, along with their belongings, including the scratching post and cat tree that nobody had thought to remove from the donation. "They wouldn't settle separated," Beth told me. "We learned that within the first day. Reginald paced. Daisy wouldn't touch her food. We put them back together within hours and never tried it again." A fourteen-year-old cat and an unrelated kitten, presented as a package deal that most adopters, understandably, found daunting. I sat down on the floor outside the kennel. Reginald watched me for a long moment before standing slowly, joints clearly stiff, and approaching the front of the kennel first, sniffing my outstretched fingers with careful deliberation. Daisy followed, wobbling slightly on legs that hadn't fully grown into her body yet, and pressed her small face against my hand. "I think I need both of these," I told Beth. She opened the kennel fully. I sat there for almost an hour, just letting both of them settle against me, Reginald's weight surprising for how thin he'd become, Daisy's smallness almost disappearing against his side. That was three weeks ago. Both the scratching post and the cat tree came home with us, along with both cats, who have settled into my apartment with a quiet, mutual devotion that's reshaped my entire daily routine in the best possible way. They eat from adjacent bowls. They sleep pressed together every single night, regardless of the multiple other comfortable spots available throughout the apartment. I think about the woman who raised them both, who I never met, who took in a stray kitten in the last months of her own life and gave Reginald exactly the kind of company he'd need to survive losing her. I don't know if she understood, in her final weeks, what she was building. I think, somehow, she probably did. Three weeks ago, a scratching post and a cat tree sat outside a shelter kennel, quiet evidence of a life and a love that had just ended. Today, both objects sit in my living room, exactly where they belong, beside two cats who finally, completely, aren't waiting for anyone anymore. 🐾🧑 πŸ“ Gotcha Day: Des Moines, IA
Advertisement
Advertisement